Wednesday 11 November 2009

The Only Definite Good In The Business... So Far













 


About time we got something music-related here. I'll try to make this interesting.

This is a question I've been grappling with for years, and I guess a lot of others have. What the hell is 'good music'? More so, what is 'real music'? Endlessly we get morons shoving their music down your throat, telling you to go listen to 'reel m00sic innit', but when you give them a perfectly legit reason why you'd rather live off the pork pie remains in Infinity Ward's rubbish bins, they shout back at you 'WELL THAT'S ONLY YOUR OPINION... INNIT'. Fuck you! Since when were you given the divine right to see musical ingenuity, and the right to be such a hypocritical bellend?  

And through the years I've gone through ignorance (mine is just better) to talent being the answer (the band with the most technical skill is best) to plain relativist (it's just opinion) to complete apathy. I pretty much give up. Whatever happens, everyone's gonna end up listening to what appeals to them personally.

The whole apathy thing is because I've gone back on what I used to say, in that not only do I now also listen to things that aren't particularly skillful, but also because 'metal' isn't just what I like. I used to say it and lie, but now I genuinely mean it; I listen to a bit of everything. So now I just want to find out what 'good' is, though I'm almost completely sure I'll never find it. You can get the feeling of badass and power at the end of Lamb of God's 'Sacrament' album, enlightened at the end of Iron Maiden's 'A Matter of Life and Death' or be weeping hopelessly at the beauty of some things at the end of Emancipator's incredible fusion/progressive/easy listening album 'Soon It Will Be Cold Enough To Build Fires'. Whatever happens, you've got a personal response from the music, and so far this is good. But it doesn't apply to everyone, so is it really GOOD? I know loads of people who'd want to amputate their ears at the end of ONE Lamb of God song.

Whenever I say music is 'shit', I 99% of the time don't mean it. I'm just saying I don't like it, but in a pointlessly harsh way, and I hate myself a little more whenever I do. Music is only 'bad', I believe, when it is done as a complete joke. Fallout Boy, for example, are actually a good band. Their music is aimed at young teenagers (WE ALL KNOW IT'S GIRLS IT'S AIMED AT), and guess what? Teenage (girls) like Fallout Boy. They enjoy listening to their music. I can't knock that, I can't say my knowledge of perfection of sound waves is more advanced than Fallout Boy's listeners, even if they are younger than me. Dizzee Rascal has no singing talent, but people like listening to his music and he expresses his feelings through his tunes, so what's the problem? There are far too many genres for one 'good' to cover it all. 

Talent, much to my dismay, doesn't really push any music above other music. It has the ability to impress, and indeed I respect anyone with talent, because they can express themselves through it, and they can master their instrument in a way other's can't.  But while an aptness with a guitar could make the music appeal to a wider range of people, it still won't make everyone like it. In contrast, listen to the band Behold the Arctopus. Those two guys could play Canon Rock, left handed, asleep, whilst swallowing a goat, but if you listen to their songs, most would agree it sounds somewhat similar to what tectonic plate movement would sound like if the plates were made of rusty iron. 

But as much as I can enjoy different types of music because I appreciate it in different ways, there is one exception I have found. One thing musically which I have found different to all music, and doubt I will see in any other genre. Metal. Live. Feeling truly alive isn't something we all experience a lot, and if we do I don't doubt that we experience it in different ways. But having seen Iron Maiden twice and Lamb of God three times (amongst many other bands) I cannot describe the feeling. The rush, the constant rush, of blood, adrenaline and purified awesome running in your veins, the feeling of complete control and surprisingly peace amongst the battering of human flesh around you is like nothing else. The band gives you everything and you give it back, and the room has its own rapture. 

Other bands may have great shows. Muse have incredible stage acts, and even Lady Gaga has a huge range of effects and choreography which won't be forgotten in a hurry. Yet I feel that it still can't match it, and it focuses too much on the visual, not quite on the same level as metal. I dread to say it, but metal seems to have something more... spiritual.

So yeah, that's my two cents. I have reached no conclusion, as expected, apart from good music doesn't REALLY exist and that I like metal shows. But I hope if anything this opens a few people's minds. Sorry for the length.

No comments:

Post a Comment